Monday, March 5, 2007

Promoting the second life

Before I even started the class, which was supposed to be a video editing class, I was asked to join the Second Life group. However, I really wanted to work on videos since I didn’t really have those skills yet and I knew they would be useful, especially in college. So after getting used to how Second Life works and talking with my teachers, we decided I should work to create a video that we would use to promote Second Life around our school.

So far, we know the video will be about 3 minutes in length. It will include real videos from inside Second Life as well as live footage from the real world. I was introduced to a couple of programs from Alpine Tendaze. The first was Camstudio. This program is essentially the video equivalent of a screenshot. The second was Inspiration, a brainstorming and planning assistant that is useful for recording ideas and storyboarding.

Speaking of storyboarding, that is the next thing I need to do for the video. Some of my ideas include a short video of some people talking about what Second Life is like and then zooming into a computer monitor as a transition. I’d also like to use an avatar to “film” another avatar in Second Life. That’s all for now. I don’t want to give away all my ideas ;)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Making a video would be a great way of showing our progress in Second Life. However, are you sure that three minutes will be long enough to demonstrate all of this?

Jordan Descenna said...

A video would be a great idea, but make sure that you get a bit of variety when recording the Second Life movie.

Jordan Descenna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Asif Gausman said...

Using a video to promote Second Life is a terrific way to show the public how Second Life works as a medium for education as well as recreation. The only flaw might be that using a program such as CamStudio slows down SL and therefore makes it a pain to use.

Dre Masala said...

Wow, this sounds like a very good, interesting way of showing all our efforts in this project! I cant wait to see the actual production movie because I think we have quite good footage!
Cant Wait!
Dre Masala

Shizzle Rau said...

Using a video to promote the idea is brillian, however, I am concerned with the duration of the movie. Like -g said, will three minutes be enough? Cant wait till its done!