Monday, March 5, 2007

Getting Started in Second Life

Hey, this is Jordan Descenna and I'm here to talk to you about beginning in Second Life. I bet the first thing on your mind is what is Second Life? Second Life is a online multiplayer program (notice that there is no game in that phrase) where you can basically lead a Second Life. You can attend classes in online colleges, meet new people from around the world, build anything that you desire. And I bet, the next thing on your mind is where should i sign up and take advantage of this Second Life?

Well the first place that you should go to is www.secondlife.com. However, you need to create an account. So create an account depending on your age (Teen Second Life is your choice if your under 18 years old, don't worry its the same as Second Life, its just a teen version of it), and fill out your Second Life first and last name, etc. From there on, you can register your personal details (don't worry they are not that personal!) including your real name, email address, etc. You might want to fill out your credit card details for signing up for: Teen Second Life (In Teen Second Life its essential to make sure that a guardian allows you to play this game by asking for credit card details, to buy land in Second Life, or for Linden Dollars(Yes, Second Life has its own economy!). After you create your account, you need to download the actual program to your computer via http://secondlife.com/community/downloads.php. Select your operating system, download the program and your good to go!

Once your downloads complete, your brought to a menu where you type in your First and Last Second Life name, and your password. Eventually, your loaded and you see your Second Life character for the very first time. Your character is in a place called Orientation Island. On this island you learn the basics of Second Life from flying to creating an object.

After you feel comfortable in Orientation Island, you can leave and dive into the real world of Second Life! I was looking for a Youtube movie to show what Second Life really is. So sit back and enjoy!


11 comments:

Asif Gausman said...

I've made an account on Second Life and it really is this simple! After a few minutes of setting up you are ready to start your second life. Orientation Island is a great place to learn to control your avatar and use the features of SL to your advantage.

Anonymous said...

This is really useful. You might want to publish it somewhere else too!

Dre Masala said...

Hey Jordan Descenna,
You have done a good job of your post as you have included a nice video, therefore, letting people get a brief experience in Second Life. My first experience of Second Life was a good one as I was able to communicate with other Avitars and learn many new things, thus, making building better.
I cant wait till the final product!
Good Work!
Dre Masala

Unknown said...

Nice way to sum up the account creation process. I felt it was pain to put a credit card in, but I guess it is a good way to keep the Teen Grid safer. Nice Video, it's a great way to promote the program.

Shizzle Rau said...

Good job with the youtube video. It really gives faces to the imaginations of the people interested in Second Life. Getting the account started was sort of a hassle for me, but i eventually got it and it was all worth the very little trouble.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I want to do Second Life but I am under 13. I want to do Second Life because it looks cool. Will there be a Second Life for people 13 years or younger?

2JJ M

Anonymous said...

I would like to play second life but I am under 13 years or younger. I wish there was a Second life for kids under13 years old.

2JJ F

Anonymous said...

I wish I could play second life. But I am too young. That is why I want you
To make a mini second life.

2jj l

Anonymous said...

I am really interested in the 3D people. What are they called? Can you please tell me how you make 3D people? The 3D people are so amazing.

2JE R

Anonymous said...

It looks like Second Life is a exciting website.How do you know where you are going?

2JJ W